Usually by the end of March, in many places spring is starting to show. Temps are a little lower, we start to see some of the season’s flowers in beautiful yellow, pink, wbite. Now in Indiana, we may have a couple of snow storms, even in March. It’s usually when I like to take a vacation — but that is postponed for a little while longer until my husband and I have our COVID-19 Vaccines. It’s soon though!
Indianapolis Wardrobe Stylist’s Suggestions
As an Indianapolis Wardrobe Stylist, I really like to take stock of my wardrobe, particularly my wardrobe, of course! I had already purchased a beautiful long wool Ralph Lauren coat in burgundy. I really think every woman needs a longer coat — this hits just past the knees. I won’t wear it everyday of course, but I knew it was something my wardrobe needed.
Guys, too, need at least one warm more formal wool, camel hair or cashmere coat. This is a great time of year to buy them, especially online. You can get an amazing coat for $300 or less which is a real bargain for the quality of coat you are receiving. I suggest looking at Bloomingdales, Nordstrom and even Saks.
Now on to the real work from your Indianapolis Wardrobe Stylist…This time of year:
- I gather up my scarves, gloves and hats and either dry clean them or wash them in cold water Woolite. Then I store them in a spare closet.
- As an Indianapolis Wardrobe Stylist, I keep or recycle boots and shoes. Some boots are worn out and I don’t keep them. Some need care such as polishing or cleaning such on the soles of my sneakers.
- Don’t forget your underwear: men, look through your shorts and undershirts. Are old, ripped or just sad? It’s a good time to replace them. I want to make the case for wearing them in the first place: Undershirts are functional, not necessarily a style piece. They catch perspiration and save your tops, sweater and dress shirts from that distinctive stain.
- Ladies, the same advice for you: Look at your lingerie, specifically your bra. If you haven’t had a bra fitting in over a year, it’s time to do it. My favorite places to do this is Barbara’s New Beginnings (Indy); Von Maur; Macy’s; Nordstrom and Victoria’s Secret. Also evaluate your tights, underpants, etc. to see what you need. Stock up on these items that are on sale.
- Generally, go through your closet and put any item you don’t like, don’t wear or doesn’t fit onto three piles. Donate as much as you can. If you need help with this process, contact Beth at email@example.com. Having a functional and well-stocked closet of clothes you know how to put together is such a time saver and mood lifter.
- Don’t forget to dry clean or hand wash in cold water your winter sweaters. You’d don’t want them to sit around for another seasons if they are soiled in any way.
- Shoes are big — go through them and don’t keep anything that looks old, tattered or doesn’t fit. Polish or clean the shoes you keep. Also think about any shoes you need or want. Do you have an updated sneaker — not an athletic shoe — but a sneaker. Consider it!
- Finally look at shirts and pants. Do they have holes (in non-distressed pants), stains or tears? Time to donate them unless you want to wear them to mow the lawn which we all be doing soon.
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA,. AICI-CIC
Indianapolis Wardrobe Stylist