There are other accessories out there that elevate everyday outfits for men.
- For some men, who like a little bling, cufflinks are a great accessory. I, your Carmel Wardrobe Stylist, love it when someone wears cufflinks that belonged to a grandfather or father. It’s just an interesting addition.
- In the past, men used briefcases — often synthetic and metal. — to carry important papers to and from work and to and from appointments. There are many options for men. Here is a very current briefcase in supple leather by Coach.
- As a Carmel Wardrobe Stylist, I have worked with clients to buy some beautiful crossbody bags in a variety of finishes. I am partial to black leather. These are functional and practical, especially for those who carry laptops. Backpacks work well for laptops, too, since they have a padded section.
- Here is an inexpensive crossbody bag for men or women.
- Here is a really beautiful carry-on bag I have seen as I traveled. I, your Carmel Wardrobe Stylist, thought, “That bag would be for me, too.” When you’re on a business trip remember you are always showing your style and image, even when you’re not in a meeting.
- Some other work accessories you may not even think about — Many of us use laptops in meetings, but in some, you have a notebook and pen. Don’t be caught using some “free” pen such as Race of the Year, etc., and a tattered notebook. Invest in a leather notebook with a sharp pen that cost more than $10. This is a great image for the working person. I strive to do this, even in my social life, but sometimes am caught with the free, ugly pen. It’s details such as this one, although a small detail, that helps to set your image. Pens are a great gift, and often are the one item none of us would even consider buying. (Although Remember Price Charles and the pen incident. He was quite frustrated when his pen leaked! So buy a good quality pen, and I like blue ink, but it’s a personal preference. Probably a black and a blue ink pen are great options. Have both. Also, go out and try them out at a specialty store. As a Carmel Wardrobe Stylist, I really enjoy these stores when I visit them to see all the options. Here are some interesting options:
As you can see, there are many ways to improve your out-of-the-office image. As a Carmel Wardrobe Stylist, I always like to point out pens and notepads, even though many people take notes on their phones and laptops. But it’s just a detail that sets you apart.
Speaking of phones and laptops, make sure they are clean. This is often the last thing we think of, but who has been in a meeting and seen a dirty laptop or even phone? It’s not something I like to think about.
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA, AICI-CIC
Carmel Wardrobe Stylist