We hear so much about women and their accessories such as purses, jewelry, shoes, etc. As an Indiana Wardrobe Stylist, I even heard a stat recently that accessories should make up 30 percent of your clothing budget. I do think that’s true since what you add to the outfit makes or breaks it.
When I talk to people about adding the third layer – such as a denim jacket, leather motto, blazer, or sweater – and coordinating shoes, belts, hats, and jewelry, I am always asked this question, “What about when it’s hot?” Here in Indiana, we can have very hot summers. So, first of all, wear clothing that breathes such as 100 percent cotton, linen, wool, or silk. Guys always ask me the question, “What if it’s too hot to add a layer?” Then consider accessories to make your outfit interesting. That’s why we are going to talk about accessories in men’s style.
Accessories that Shine from Your Indiana Wardrobe Stylist
- First, your accessories should match the level of formality in your outfit. When wearing dark rinse jeans and a fitted button-down, wear a leather belt that is a little less formal than the typical sleek leather belt. Perhaps a leather rope belt. Or a belt in a different color such as tan or even navy.
- Wearing colored summer shorts and a polo? Wear a fabric belt with stripes in neutral colors if that is part of your style.
- A more formal sport coat and button-down call for a leather belt.
- If you like earring studs, wear them. Personally, I think guys with diamond stud is sharp.
- Leather bracelets and necklaces are other options guys wear, and again make sure the rest of your outfit is more casual.
- If you think it would be cold later on your date, don’t forget to take a light jacket such as a linen sport coat or cotton bomber jacket.
Before we dive into the watches discussion, consider this: a common belief is that men evaluate each other by their watches and their shoes. Do you agree? As an Indiana Wardrobe Stylist, I have to say – I do agree! Our shoe discussion will come soon.
- Everyone today sports an Apple watch, and I have one too, although I often use it for running times. I love an expensive-looking watch. I think it is the coolest accessory men can add to their outfits. I love them. Besides the obvious classy men’s watches such as Rolodex, I also like Tag Heuer, Shinola (a Detroit company), and other brands. Tag Heuer has combined a sports watch with some neat chrome updates, it’s a great version.
- If you are wearing a blazer and have a chest pocket, consider a pocket square. As an Indiana Wardrobe Stylist, I have always loved them, although some clients only think they are for mature gentlemen. Not true! It’s the print you choose and how you wear it. If you like to be more classic, just add a solid color pocket square such as white or grey, or in a tiny polka dot. There are many choices out there. To me, the best idea is to buy the best watch you can afford since you will wear it for years.
- Rings can be another interesting accessory if you wear them. Find something interesting or that has a story behind it. Accessories can make a great conversation piece.
Watch upcoming blogs as we discuss more men’s accessories. Reach out to Beth Divine Style to learn more!
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA, AICI-CIC
Indiana Wardrobe Stylist