This post is part 2 of my previous post- Indiana Wardrobe Stylist Gives Options for the Denim Jacket.
- Another popular third layer is a shorter jacket. This is a newer silhouette that’s out there to pair with high-waisted, wide-leg pants and jeans. I have seen a really cute one in a light brown that will go with so much!
- I have one kimono that I occasionally wear in the summer over shorts, dresses, and white jeans. I like to wear a silky tank or gold, metallic sweater under it. It is a sheer, light layer that is perfect for 90-degree summer days in Indiana.
- Another third layer that is back in style again is the vest. I have a bright red sweater vest and have yet to buy the traditional vest with front buttons. When I find the perfect one, I will add it to my wardrobe.
- I have noticed that denim vests go in and out of style. I like them as another version of the denim jacket. They are especially cute in the summer over casual sundresses.
- Short, fitted cardigans are another summer option I like and wear myself. I have a few sundresses that need a third layer to make them a little more snazzy or even wearable in freezing air conditioning. I love Boden’s cardigans because they are such high quality that lasts for years. The shorter, fitted cardigans balance the midi dresses that are still very popular. (The blazer here is from Bergdorf Goodman)
- The long, coat jacket is another really great option for dresses. It can be coordinated with the pieces underneath or matching.
- Tweed blazers are a great layer for cooler weather. Think Chanel! I have some amazing multicolor blazers that I wear with a matching skirt or jeans and a shell or cami. They are not for everyone, but if you like classic silhouettes as I do, you will love them. Fit is key with these jackets. If you have broad shoulders do not buy a jacket with big shoulder pads. It will be like the 80s called, and you listened.
- I have seen sweater blazers in stores, especially in JCrew. Some I like; some I don’t. It really depends on the person and the fabric.
- A shape we don’t see often, but one I like, is a wrap jacket. It is a jacket that has a front, wrap look. It can be a really interesting addition to your wardrobe.
- Large, square scarves can be tied in such a way that they look like a third piece. It’s a really cool look and especially great for summer looks such as a cami and white jeans. Here is a link that shows the many looks you can create with a perfect large scarf.
- I often have a white cotton blazer in my wardrobe. I wear them often. I no longer really wear the white suit look as I have in the past, but a crisp, cotton white jacket can look great with a striped dress, a pair of linen pants, or crisp cotton pants.
- One more blazer I like — a seersucker one. The one I have is a fine stripe in coral and white. I wear them with orange linen pants and a turquoise shell.
Want to add more jackets to your wardrobe? As an Indiana Wardrobe Stylist, I can certainly help you explore new options. Reach out today for a style appointment with me!
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA, AICI-CIC, Personal Image Consultant