When I think about the type of services I offer, I would say I do a closet audit a little over half the time with clients. As an Indiana Women’s Stylist, Many times when people contact me that way I really don’t have any clothes to evaluate. That type of service is fun because we can start from scratch and really build a wardrobe. Instinctively, when I shop for people I always tend to buy pieces that all go together and usually center around a couple of neutral colors, say navy and tan; accent colors such as red and possibly a green print, and a pop metallic. In the summer I often figure in white as a neutral since it looks so crisp and nice. Of course, your style comes into play as well as your shape/build.
Advice from Your Indiana Women’s Stylist
Anyway, here are some of my thoughts about a wardrobe that is not working:
- You have too many orphan pieces – This means these are clothing items that might be a different color or print or shape that you never wear. You were attracted to them; you brought them home but never wore them. It might be you decided it’s just not your style, don’t like the fit or the way it looks.
- You don’t have enough basics – I, your Indiana Women’s Stylist, have read some articles about this and have seen some numbers such as we need 80 percent of basics and 20 percent of accent pieces (and a few statement pieces). I think that sounds about right because neutrals mix and match with other neutrals and other colors in your closet. A basic can be jeans, pants, jackets, shells/shirts, skirts, blazers, etc.
- You don’t have enough shoes – You may laugh at this comment, but only having a couple of pairs of shoes, let’s say light and a dark pair, really limits your outfit creation. You also need casual shoes and dressy shoes, and a few statement or seasonal shoes. This addition really adds to your wardrobe and mixing and matching.
- You don’t have enough easy pieces – As an Indiana Women’s Stylist, I am a firm believer in the “one and done” easy dress. You don’t have to put too much thought into it, add a few accessories and some interesting shoes, and you are ready.
- Some statement and accents tops are really needed in wardrobe planning – Colors, textures, prints, etc, all make interesting tops to coordinate with your basics such as jeans, chinos, skirts, dress pants, and blazers. Not having interesting tops makes it very difficult to create outfits.
- Having a variety of coats makes your wardrobe interesting as well – Wearing the same coat day in and out is boring. Sometimes, a bright, colorful coat can be the most important accessory you own. I remember one of my clients was getting really bored with her clothes and I showed her a bright pink wool coat for winter. It was stunning on her warm complexion and met her style personality of dramatic. She told me she received many compliments on it that winter and felt is was one of the most important purchases she made.
What about you? Need some in planning your wardrobe. As an Indiana Women’s Stylist, I also provide electronic look books of the outfits you wear to make it easy to get dressed each day. Reach out to me for an exploratory Zoom call.
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA, AICI-CIC
Personal Image Consultant and Indiana Women’s Stylist