What’s worth spending money on…this was a very interesting discussion on Reddit. As a Carmel Personal Stylist, I have been reading some posts on that site, and it’s an interesting medium. I was really curious to see what the readers said because I feel overall as a society we are just buying on the cheap or thrifting. Neither is wrong, but I know with some items that just doesn’t cut it. I will also include tips here about where I buy more inexpensive and where I invest more dollars — in my wardrobe and personal items.
Reddit’s Top-Picked Items
Drum roll — on Reddit, what’s worth the big bucks?
- Nice suit! As a Carmel Personal Stylist, seeing this makes my heart sing. I am always promoting the benefits of a good suit. What’s that? A suit in a neutral color that fits perfectly — mostly likely has been tailored to fit you; in great quality, 100 percent pure wool (doesn’t have to be heavy); and in a current style/cut. For a great suit, expect to pay $1,000 and up. A tailored suit from scratch starts at about $1,800 here in Indianapolis.
- Shoes. There were many comments about shoes. Again, you receive what you pay for. Leather shoes breathe, last longer, and don’t emit odor after several wears. You can also resole leather shoes and wear them for several years. I also like leather sneakers because they last longer. Expect to pay $250 and well above. One person on Reddit said that shoes that fit save money later on…one person said bad shoes caused plantar fasciitis.
- Underwear. My husband’s grandmother always bought him new underwear at Christmas.
- Watches were also debated. Overall, a quality watch was cited as a great investment that paid off over time (Oh a pun, lol).
- Glasses were mentioned as an investment piece, as was sunglasses. As a Carmel Personal Stylist, I can certainly attest to good quality, fashionable sunglasses that are a constant summer accessory that makes a statement and complete outfits. One of my male clients recently showed me his collection of 50 sunglasses he loved and faithfully wore.
- Good quality backpacks were discussed, specifically the ones at Pottery Barn (didn’t know they sold them). They were touted as a back that would last forever.
- High-quality mattresses and bedding. This is so important, considering how much of our life we spend sleeping.
Your Carmel Personal Stylist’s Top Items
- As a Carmel Personal Stylist, I would say quality socks in pure fiber that breathe better than 100 percent synthetic socks.
- Specifically, clothing made from pure fibers holds up, last longer, and does not trap odor. (Ladies this does not include the polyester blouses Amazon and other online stores sell.
- Good quality purses look better and last longer. I am not going to say 100 percent leather–my preference–since we have vegan readers. But higher-priced purses last longer, have more interesting details, and often stand the test of time.
- Dental care is basic and so needed. I also recommend getting your teeth straightened, even if you’re an adult. Your smile is one of your most important “accessories!”
- Good quality foundation makeup. Fully YSL and Armani. It’s not as expensive as you think and applying it with a brush makes it last much longer.
Need some help stocking up on investment purchases? Reach out to me for help!
Keep it sassy, Indy.
Beth Divine, MA, AICI-CIC
Carmel Personal Stylist