It just occurred to me that I have been trained as an Indianapolis Personal Stylist for nearly five years, and before that, I was a makeup artist. So I’ve now been in the beauty and image industry for eight years. It’s so hard to believe the time has gone so fast. If you haven’t had the opportunity to talk with a personal stylist before, or you’re a new visitor to my website, let me tell you a little about me so you feel comfortable when scheduling a personal consultation
Before I was an Indianapolis Personal Stylist…
I worked in corporate communications/marketing for about 25 years, including several internships. I thought I was in a creative field. Which I was, but I didn’t realize that fashion and styling is a much, more “creative” field. Designers prize being different and creating trends. It’s probably why I was attracted to it. I wanted to find a better way to use my creativity.
Over the years, I’ve worked with a couple of hundred clients over the years, both women and men. I thought I’d talk about what I have learned about dressing clients, giving style advice, and creating wardrobes that work for them.
It’s More Than Your Wardrobe
For starters, nearly always, clients want to talk about their wardrobe when something isn’t working. Why else would they want advice from an Indianapolis Personal Stylist? But it’s not always your clothes that aren’t working. For instance, someone’s life has changed drastically, it can cause a ripple effect into other areas of their life. How you feel can influence how you dress. When big changes occur such as job promotion or even a demotion, getting divorced or becoming a widower can lead to weight loss or weight gain. Clients often ask me how “hide” extra weight. (This is especially true with COVID-19 and everyone staying home.) Your confidence and personality can change throughout your life, and I can help you embrace that change.
What Makes Me Different From The Influencers In Your Feed
The increase in available media about personal style and fashion and free advice from media influencers. People watch Instagram, Facebook, and like to copy the ‘Influencers.” I am different than the typical fashion blogger in that I am going to suggest more “timeless” styles of clothing that works for you now and in the future.
Although all personal stylists and image consultants love trends, and we love to follow fashion as much as the next person. However, we are going to suggest image and wardrobe styles that follow these unique types of information:
- Your best colors. Unlike many sales associates and fashion stylists, an image consultant is usually trained to do a color analysis and tell you the best colors for you. Based on your hair, skin, and eye color as well as the level of contrast. (For instance, someone with high contrast has very bright color and bright hair, skin and eyes—not muted at all. This person is among the 10-15 percent of the population that truly looks amazing in black and white.)
- Your shape and how to dress it. A trained Indianapolis Personal Stylist will take horizontal and vertical measurements and tell you your shape and whether you are high-waisted or short-waisted. There are six female shapes and 3-5 men’s shapes (depending on what system you follow.)
- After this information, an image consultant will give you tips on how to best dress your shape.
- An image consultant will also like to discuss your style preferences with you such as Classic, Romantic, Sporty, Dramatic, or Creative. This information is important if you shop with a stylist.
- In addition, there are other skills an image consultant will share with you. (I can’t give away all my secrets.)
Influencers are great because they can highlight brands you might have never heard of before, but their tips fit for what looks best on them, not you. If you want more personalized fashion advice, then you need to get it from someone who is certified and experienced, like me.
Getting Started On Your Style Transformation
First, if you’ve never had a color analysis, consider having one. I now offer a color analysis online and send the color book later. It is a critical first step in all that I do for clients.
Next blog…how to be different and shine!
Keep it sassy, Indy!
Beth Divine, MA, AICI Certified Image Consultant & Indianapolis Personal Stylist
President, Beth Divine Style