Hello Indianapolis Fashionistas,
I hope you are easing into the holidays and not getting too stressed out. If you do, take a minute, take a keep breath, enjoy a cup of tea or hot cocoa. Rest. Watch a Christmas movie. (Repeat if you can!)
Anyway, this blog is one I do from time to time to give you my opinions on beauty, dressing your best and not falling into the mistakes many women make — including me.
First, I am talking about makeup. Yes, I wear it. My goal is to achieve a natural look. That means several things —
- I don’t draw on big eyebrows or make them a dark color that looks unnatural. This is something many women do as they begin to lose eyebrow hair — or they may have never had great eyebrows and think drawing them on will solve the trick. It’s true — brows are very important. They frame your face, and the right shape is so flattering to you. So — try not to use too much brow makeup or a color that doesn’t look natural. I like Lancome’s eyebrow pencils as well as even light brown eye shadow applied with a brush. Don’t forget to pluck stray hairs or get an eyebrow was from time to time. Check out Mally Believable Brows Shaping & Sculpting System w/ Brush.
- Second, watch the shimmer — especially after the age of 40. This is especially true with eye shadow. Shimmer draws attention to any wrinkles around your eyes or any darkness. If you want to use a little shimmer cream around your cheekbones — try it. See how it looks, especially in natural light.
- Also, ladies don’t overdo the eyeshadow. It makes your eyes look dark. A little goes a long way. I feel the same way about black eyeliner. Some women can wear it — especially if you have large, dark eyes …but most of the time, putting eye liner all around your eyes just make your eyes look smaller. And who wants that?
- Be open to using cream blush. It looks natural and doesn’t sit on your skin as powder does. I really like Elizabeth Arden’s and Bobbi Brown’s cream blushes. They are really pretty and natural looking.
- I do wear a light bronzer year round, and I try to dust a little on my neck. That way I don’t have a face with healthy color and then a white neck. That just says I put makeup on my face – but forgot about my neck!
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen year-round! And, of course, don’t forget to moisturize — hands, too. I like to put on lotion right after I get out of the shower. My favorite products are by Beauty Counter, Alveno and L’Occitane. See some products here.
- Especially in winter months, use lip balm or chapstick every night before you go to bed. And, put it on first thing in the morning and let it sink in before you put on your lip color.
- Don’t neglect your hair and try to get a new cut now and then. I really like a stylist who gives me a haircut and style that are low-maintenance and then shows my how to do it myself. To me, that is the true professional. I recently changed stylists, and my new one–Shelly–showed me how to add some height to my crown.
Keep it sassy, Indy!
Beth Divine, Indianapolis Personal Stylist